Thursday, November 29, 2007

Democracy

As my ID badge says I am from the US I am constantly fielding comments on Bush, though have to admit that I am quick to explain I am really from Scotland! It is remarkable that I can guarantee with 100% confidence that whether I am talking to a leading political journalist, like my friend's father, Mr Thaker, or a teacher from Sweden, or the concierge at my hotel or a student from Nepal they will have no respect for Bush at all, and express incredulity that the American people voted for him not just once but twice. Mr Thaker wanted to assure me that he knows the American people are good people but that the administration is problematic and the cause of America's problems. He even said that when the democrats are in power things are good for India although I would have thought there was not much difference between the two parties.

The United States shouts about democracy, and yet it is dishonesty and powermongering that rules the motivations of this country. At one of the sessions at the conference, ministers for the environment from several different countries came to discuss the environmental issues facing their nations. Problems and successes were posed, and questions invited in all but two presentations. These two presenters claimed that their countries are doing everything possible for the environment, and that there are not further challenges they face. Both representatives also refused to allow any questions. Which countries were these? Iran and.....the United States.

"My notion of Democracy is that under it the weakest should have the same opportunity as the strongest....No country in the world today shows any but patronising regard for the weak. Western democracy, as it functions today, is diluted facism.....true democracy cannot be worked by twenty men sitting at the centre. It has to be worked from below by the people of every village"
Mahatma Gandhi.

I have to say that it felt sweet to be reminded that the US is not as invincible as it believes itself to be. Here, as in many countries around the world, prices are listed in dollars as well as the local currency (rupees). Today I went to pay for a walking tour and was told that they would not take dollars anymore because the dollar is too unstable. You know our economy must be bad when the Indian rupee is considered a better investment than the dollar.

No comments: